Newsnomics AJAY ANGELINA reporter | Another earthquake of magnitude 6.3 has struck the Turkey-Syria
border region, killed at least five people and injured more than 200, setting off panic and cause the dest-
ruction of many more buildings, two weeks after the area was devastated by quakes that killed more than
47,000 people in the two countries earlier on Feb 6.
Turkey’s disaster management agency said in a message posted on Twitter that the earthquake, recorded at 6.3 magnitude, was centered in the southern Hatay province, an area that experienced some of the worst
destruction in the two earlier quakes, on Feb. 6.
Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay has reported at least 20 aftershocks late Monday.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu, speaking in Hatay late Monday said, “3 people had died after the quake and 213 people had been sent to hospitals. He warned citizens to avoid entering buildings to recover their
belongings, because of frequent aftershocks.”
HaberTurk television reported the survival of one person and the struggle of rescuing three more people trapped inside a three-story building by the police in Hatay.
SANA, Syria's state news agency, reported six people injured in Aleppo by falling debris.
More than 130 injured, most of them non-life threatening, including fractures and cases of people fainting
from fear, while a number of buildings in areas already damaged by the quake collapsed reported by the
White Helmets, northwest Syria's civil defense organization.
A state hospital in Iskenderun, northwest of Hatay, is evacuated, Turkey’s Anadolu News Agency reported.
Monday’s earthquake was felt as far away as Lebanon, Egypt and Iraq. Frightened people fled into the streets
in several Turkish cities, along with Aleppo in Syria and other nearby Syrian towns.